It sounds easy enough right ? Well, it isn’t.
If you take into account that ironically most people have their spare set of keys either in their apartment or in their car, it starts to make perfect sense.
The fact that you’ve lost your keys, and your spare ( if you even have one ) is in your apartment behind a locked door doesn’t really help you right ?
Same thing happens when you’ve accidentally locked your main set of house or car keys in the car, and your other single most important spare key to your car is where ? Exactly, it’s in your glove compartment or center counsel INSIDE your locked vehicle.
So having a spare key doesn’t always yield salvation!
Here are some tips from us to you ( the residents of the upper west side ):
- Always lock your apartment or car door with the actual key ( than you know for a fact you have it and it’s not locked inside ), instead of using the push button or the self auto lock function on the door.
- Make a habit of touching your pockets ( only your pockets buddy, don’t get any funny ideas here ), and feel your keys, phone and wallet very now and then or whenever you get up and move from place to place during the day.
- Spare key (maybe that should’ve been #1 ), make sure you have one!
- After making that desired spare key make sure you’re placing it in a logic place, one which you’ll remember and have access to when time comes.
- If you choose to leave a spare key with a friend or a neighbor than obviously make sure you trust them fully and that they are around most of the time or at least when you think you’ll need them.
- Don’t wait until it’s too late, if your lock or key gives you a hard time don’t wait for tomorrow, deal with it now, replacing your cylinder on your apartment door lock or making a new spare key instead of your old worn off one takes very little time and it’s almost effortless not to mention relatively cheap, if you do wait until it’s too late than you might find the hard way that a locksmith emergency trip to your place on the upper west side ( or any other neighborhood in the city for that matter ), is going to cost you much MUCH more than it would’ve to take the necessary steps ignored to avoid this ordeal in the first place, so don’t be lazy.
- When braking the old pattern and doing things you wouldn’t usually do on a daily basis like taking a road trip, a vacation or even scheduling an unexpected urgent meeting in your daily schedule, make sure you pay EXTRA attention to where your keys are.
No doubt i can find two more tips for you but I’ll leave it empty for educational prepuces, its up to you to figure it out.
There are quit a few things you can and should do in order to make you’re not just hanging there when time comes, but if all else fails stay come and Metro Locks!
(Spare car key).